How to get rid of a headache?
Almost all of us have experienced having a headache at one time or another. While headaches may seem to be a simple affliction, you and I know that having a headache can affect our regular activities and disrupt our daily routines. Here are some of the most common natural headache remedies that can help you deal with those bothersome headaches.
1. Sandalwood. One of the most effective natural remedy for headaches is to rub sandalwood paste, made by mixing sandalwood with water, on your temples. Sandalwood oil can also be used in the same manner.
Sandalwood - Natural headache remedies
2. Apple cider vinegar. Some headaches are manifestations of disorders in other parts of the body. Known for many years to treat various ailments, apple cider vinegar is also an effective treatment for headaches. Add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar to boiling water and inhale the steam to relieve your headache.
Apple cider vinegar - Natural headache remedies
3. Honey. Taking honey mixed with warm water is a traditional Chinese remedy for headaches. It also works well for curing hangovers.
Honey - Natural headache remedies
4. Apple with salt. A red apple with the skin and core removed and sprinkled with salt taken in the morning can work wonders to alleviate recurring headaches. It’s thought that apples balance the alkaline and acidic levels in the body which can cause headache pain.
Apple with salt - Natural headache remedies
5. Feverfew. Feverfew is a medicinal herb used to relieve migraines by limiting the inflammation of blood vessels in the head. This herb must be used with care by patients who are taking medicines to prevent blood clots, and it is advised that they consult their physician before taking it.
Feverfew - Natural headache remedies
6. Chamomile tea. Besides a host of health benefits that chamomile tea offers, it can also be taken to relieve migraines. However, as with feverfew, patients taking blood thinning medications are advised to consult their physician before taking chamomile tea.
Chamomile tea - Natural headache remedies
7. Ginger. Ginger is one of the most versatile natural healer and is effective for treating tension headaches. Besides being an effective cure for digestive problems, ginger acts as an anti-inflammatory agent that can ease tension headaches by relaxing blood vessels in the brain.
8. Doing some deep breathing exercises is one of the home remedies for headaches, particularly tension headaches, and can relieve pain by increasing the supply of oxygen to the brain. Headaches are often caused by a diminished supply of oxygen to the brain and deep breathing exercises can help increase your oxygen intake and relieve headaches.
deep breathing exercises - Home Remedies For Headaches
9. Cold compress. Applied to the forehead, temples or nape, a cold compress can help constrict blood vessels to relieve nerve pressures in the head and give relief to pain.
Cold compress - Home Remedies For Headaches
10. Foods to avoid. Certain foods are believed to trigger migraine attacks and it would be best to avoid these. Chocolates, caffeine, and red wine are at the top of the list. Nitrites found in preserved foods and MSG or monosodium glutamate commonly used as a flavor enhancer may also trigger migraine attacks.
Foods to avoid - Remedies For Headaches
These Natural headache remedies are simple, but can provide immediate relief to sufferers; however, as in all medication, whether natural or conventional, it would be wise to seek the advice of your physician before taking any herbal remedies for safety and efficacy for your particular condition.
Source: 10 Home Remedies For Headaches